Algeria - News

 

Assault on Tiguentourine: 37 hostages including one Algerian killed, 29 hostage-takers eliminated and 3 captured

 

Algérie Presse Service (APS) - Jan. 21, 2013
Speaking at a press conference held today in Algiers, Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal indicated that thirty-seven (37) hostages, including one Algerian, were killed during the terrorist attack on the Tiguentourine (In Amenas) gas processing complex, located in Illizi Province.

Seven victims among the 37 dead have yet to be identified, he said, adding that five foreign workers are still missing.
"We do not know whether those missing are dead or hiding somewhere within the plant," which covers 20 acres.
The Tiguentourine gas processing complex employed 790 peoples, including 134 foreign workers from 26 different countries.

Moreover, Prime Minister Sellal added that 29 hostage-takers were killed and 3 others were captured alive.

The terrorist group included members from 8 different countries, including Algerians, Tunisians, Egyptians, Malians, Nigeriens, Mauritanians, and one Canadian, Mr. Sellal said.

He also indicated that the operation had been planned over two months and the terrorist group, led by Amine Bencheneb, had traveled along the Algerian-Malian and Algerian-Nigerien borders, crossed into Libya and then onto the national territory.